Hailing from Overland Park, KS, RADIAL RUMBLE pilot Jeff Shetterly is a third generation aviator who grew up in Indianapolis, IN and works in the medical device industry. Jeff graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point with a degree in Human Factors Engineering and served in the United States Army on M1A1 Abrams tanks. He was stationed in Germany and deployed several times to the Balkans, leaving military service in 2001.
In the years since, Jeff has become an instrument rated commercial pilot and Certified Flight Instructor, flying single and multi-engine aircraft as well as gliders – 95 different aircraft types so far. Jeff hopes his performances will be an inspiration to both children and adults, and he is constantly humbled and enjoys learning from the veterans who flew planes like “39F” (his 1945 North American SNJ-6 "Texan") when they were new.
- Has been known to steal a microphone for impromptu narration of air show buddies’ routines
- Disavows all statements made while narrating air show buddies’ routines
- Was Drum Major of high school marching band
- Played rugby in college
- Started flying at 18 months old with dad, Greg Shetterly in a Cessna 120.
- Roots for the Kansas City Royals (did not make high school baseball team)
- Believes that most flying should involve a meal at the other end
- Knows that his Grandpa Turrill was right when he said, “There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.”